Granny Flat Agreements

This is a companion site to our main website and provides dedicated information about:

  • Granny flats/granny flat agreements
  • Disputes about granny flat arrangements

General information

Granny flat agreements, also known as

Family agreements

Family care agreements

(and also, Independent care agreements, Personal services contracts, and Lifetime care contracts)


We are a Victorian based legal firm but the information on this page has applicability to all States of Australia as the law is not State based.

Who will be interested in the information on this and the other pages containing general information?

Anyone considering providing accommodation and/or care in their own home, or at another location, for an elderly parent, parents, disabled person. friend, or other person

Any parent considering the possibility of entering into a granny flat arrangement with a child (or other person).


Please see specialised pages as follows:


(See our disputes page here.)


Why Choose Us?
Dedicated practice

We are one of the few legal firms in Australia who advise in relation to granny flat agreements on a regular basis.


We make extensive use of technology to streamline document production. This significantly reduces the time we have to spend on drawing agreements.

Cost effective

Because of this experience in this area and our process efficiencies we can get matters finalised in a cost effective manner. Ask us about our fees.


The principal, Peter Gauld, has been practising in this area for fifteen years, and in relation to granny flat disputes he has had 30+ practising in dispute resolution.